Sunday, November 16, 2014

Mission Letter 11/17/2014

Hello, everybody!

So, it's been a good week. Still trying to cover to areas with the manpower of one and a half. That's okay, except that we have stay together, so we spend half the week in each area. We get by. We actually had an investigator at church from both areas, so that was very nice.

Funny story. So, as you might know, I am half Taiwanese. Which is very interesting, coming to Taiwan. Because I get one of two reactions from all the natives. For starters, everyone that looks at me, knows I'm Asian. This is where the responses to that information begins to differ. 1) People will ask me, "So, are you Korean or Japanese?" Never Taiwanese, except on the rarest occasion. I wonder which of my features seem Korean or Japanese. 2) The other response is, "Oh he looks Asian, so he totally knows Chinese." At which point they will walk up to me and start talking in Chinese or asking questions, completely ignoring my 1-year-9-month companion who knows Chinese way better, because they think I'll understand better than my companion. They kinda realize I'm not Chinese when I just stare back at them with my jaw on the floor, and look nervously at my companion and whisper, "What did they just say?"

The other day we went over to the Bishop's for dinner. The main meal? Pizza Hut pizza. Man, that was delicious! The Bishop knows missionaries too well. It's been like, two months since I've had pizza, and it was so nice to eat. You don't realize how much you'll miss it until you don't have it. And because they know us even better, the Bishop also made mashed potatoes. They actually love mashed potatoes, too. They told us the story of how they discovered them (because no one eats them here in Taiwan): one time they were in America, and they went to the Salt Lake City Temple, and they ate at the cafeteria, and they had mashed potatoes. They were like, Wow! These are delicious! So they now make them sometimes, and they made some for us. It was quite good.

It's cooling down now. It rains a lot. That's about all on the weather, because it just rains every day now. And because I don't have a bike (the gear changer broke the other day, and I get my bike back from repairs on Wednesday), we're walking and taking buses everywhere. Which is pretty fun, I guess. Much cheaper than it is in Utah.

The scripture I want to share today is Ether 12:6. A wonderful scripture, especially for a missionary.

 And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.

This scripture is very important for an investigator (and everyone else) to understand. Because, a lot of people here, before we even get anything out, just after walking up to them will say, "No, thank you." and continue on their way.  But the things that we know is that, yes, this gospel is true, it will help your life, and though you can't see God or anything right now, if you'd just give us an opportunity to share! Then you could begin to develop your faith, and you could begin to receive a witness. I guess the hardest thing for me to come to terms with as a missionary is that, we know that if people will just try doing the three things, Church, Pray, Read, they can know for themselves that it's true! The only problem is getting people to start.

In the MTC, one of my teachers told us, "You must have the faith that if they do these three things, they will know for sure that it's true. If they have done these and they don't know, something is missing or they've done one of them wrong." That's the faith they, and we all must have, because it's true.

Well, I hope you all have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Sequoia Ploeg

Taiwan Taipei Mission
Sequoia.Ploeg@myLDSmail.net