Sunday, December 20, 2015

Mission Letter 12/21/2015

Dear family and friends,

This week has been most wonderful! And most busy! Between choir performances, companion exchanges, and trainer training meetings, I've just been up and down all over the place.

So, there were like, 5 elders coming in this transfer. One from Sweden, one from the US, and then three Taiwanese native missionaries (of which one or two are visa waiters for other countries, probably the US). So, with that news came all the anticipation over who I was going to train. Wth that many native missionaries entering our mission, the chances were pretty high that I would be training one of them. I was pretty excited to drastically improve my Chinese in the coming 12 weeeks. And back to this story in a minute...

Monday: one of the missionaries in our mission is putting together a live nativity, mixed with a Missionary's Christmas experience, for our mission conference. It's a very inspired production. The missionary who put it together is super into theatre, and is doing awesome at getting those emotions out of people. And it just so happens the production is a musical, and he asked me to do the music. So, on Monday I spent the whole day rehearsing. That was a long P-day.

Tuesday: We had our last district meeting of the transfer. There were two sisters going home in our district, and many of us transferring, so the district leader planned for us to make brownies and share about mission experiences. I don't know if that was the vision the mission had for us, or the topic, but it was a swell time anyway.

Wednesday I had a trainer meeting for the afternoon. Then we had our English Class party. We talked about Christmas. Our station in the rotation taught about caroling, and we discussed and learned the song, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." That was fun. It's cool, using songs to teach English. Most people didn't know what it meant to "call someone names." It's amazing the English you can teach out of the most simple things.

Thursday was transfers. And of course, I got paired up with the guy from Sweden. Turns out, he's also half Taiwanese, like me. So together, we make up one full Taiwanese person and one full Euorpean. It's super cool, especially introducing ourselves on the street. "Are you from Utah?" "Well, actually..."



I'll take a better picture of us in the coming week.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday was full of choir performances, with as much proselyting as we could fit in between the extensive travel times. President was forced to keep me in Taipei, simply because I'm kinda running the choir. So, that's what he did. But, I'm almost positive that he stuck me in the farthest away corner, because I'm totally the one who is traveling the longest and always home late. But it's okay. Performances end after this week, and life will be stress free again!

I love my mission. Life is going good. I love my new area and my new ward. I hope you all have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Sequoia Ploeg

Taiwan Taipei Mission
Sequoia.Ploeg@myLDSmail.net