Sunday, March 13, 2016

Mission Letter 3/14/2016

Dear family and friends,

This week was awesome. I originally thought spring was finally here, it had been sunny for a week and was getting quite warm, until it started pouring rain and getting cold again about halfway through the week. Today it feels like winter again. But that's okay! The longer I'm not sweating like a pig, the better. 


​CAPTION: The Tucheng District doing their very best Kung Fu poses.

This past week was transfers. The above picture is my District before transfers, at our last District Meeting. Since I was the District Leader (that changed during transfers, too), I made the executive decision that this meeting was also going to be memorable. So we held it outside. 

In the morning, the weather was great. As we approached noontime, it kinda became overcast. And by the time it was one o'clock, when district meeting starts, it was rather cloudy. We arrived at a park near the church, on a river, and the moment the meeting started, so did the rain. So we last minute changed locations to this place under a giant bridge. Still outdoors, just not quite as beautiful as originally planned. 

We then had a wonderful lesson on Moses 1, failure followed by success, God's ultimate plan and source of happiness (it's us), and all the beautiful parts of Creation. We had some time for personal reflection and prayer, as we spread out throughout the park (but of course, still within sight and sound of our respective companions). It was one of the best things of my life, having time to just go sit amongst nature, in a quite place (there's not much of that in Taiwan), and just be able to think and ponder and pray. I highly suggest doing it sometime.

Then Thursday was transfers. Training has ended! I said goodbye to Elder Falck, set him on a train across Taipei to Xizhi, and waited for my new companion to come to me. So I'm still here in Sanxia. My new companion is Elder Reintjes! He's a totally goofy, very energetic, excited, hard working missionary who has been in Taiwan for 5 months. Our goofiness complements each other. It's going to be an incredible transfer. 


​CAPTION: In the elevator after a nice rainy day. #selfietime

We worked really hard once we got put together. Having a missionary that's already trained is quite a different feeling. Yes, training was fun, but a little stressful. Now we can focus even more on the missionary work part, and we're excited to be in Sanxia. 

I'll report more on what's happening in our area next week. We're still trying to "refresh" the area, now that we're starting a new companionship. It's going to be awesome. The work of the Lord is not only fulfilling, but it's super fun, too. I've never had so much fun doing one thing in my life before. Yes, missionary work can be hard, but it is so rewarding; everyone is always trying to improve, you're always focused on people other than yourself and trying to help them improve, too. It's one of the best experiences in a lifetime.

I hope you all have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Sequoia Ploeg

Taiwan Taipei Mission
Sequoia.Ploeg@myLDSmail.net