Sunday, May 15, 2016

Mission Letter 5/16/2016

Dear family and friends,

This week was an awesome week! And I turned 20. I feel so old. Especially now that I'm both 20, and going home soon. Everyone just seems that much younger than me. 


​CAPTION: Eating at a wonderful burger place on my birthday. The Zone Leaders and the Sisters came to celebrate together. 

So, for my birthday, we ate burgers one night and then an all-you-can-eat hot pot for lunch the next day. I stuffed my face with way more food than I should have, but hey! It was my birthday. So we celebrated. It just so happened that we were on exchanges with the Zone Leaders out of our area, so more missionaries could come celebrate together. It was fun. 

Our investigator, Jacky, is getting baptized this week! I'm so excited for him. He's so cool. He passed his baptismal interview this week, came to church, and is starting to feel more and more comfortable in a church environment. He really was the smoothest sailing investigator I have ever had. No major questions, no major problems, and everything went just fine. 

Speaking of his interview, during his interview Taiwan had an earthquake. A 5.8 on the north side of the island. By the time it reached us, it was about a 3.8. But still. Shook the highrise we were in (during his interview). Just one of your average fun shakes that keep life interesting. Nobody even panicked during the earthquake. Everyone just remained in their seats (probably watching if anyone else was going to get up screaming and running). During earthquakes here, it's usually, "see if anyone else is panicking, and if they are, follow them." 

We have another golden investigator, Brother Rao. He showed up at church this week (at our invite) in a nice long-sleeve collared shirt, tie and dress slacks. He's been meeting with us 2x per week, he keeps the Book of Mormon with him 24/7, reads it and feels better, and just progresses so quickly in general. He's so cool! I'm positive that he will also get baptized, and pretty quickly, too. He even drove Jacky home after church this week.

Singing. The missionary choir joined with the member choir for a practice last night. Man, it sounds good! In total now, there are probably about 100 people in the choir. It's an impressive sounding choir. We perform next week at a place called The Grand Hotel in Taipei. It's been a lot of fun, doing a lot of stuff with music during my mission, too.

Have a wonderful week!

Love, 
Elder Sequoia Ploeg

Taiwan Taipei Mission
Sequoia.Ploeg@myLDSmail.net