Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mission Letter 5/9/2016

Dear family and friends,

This week was pretty awesome. So many blessings in our area. (I'm sorry, is that bad grammar? I can't even tell anymore, my ability to sense if something sounds right or not has completely been thrown off. Wish me luck.)

Today I get to Skype  my family. In fact, Ill be doing that in about half an hour. So this email may be pretty short. 


​CAPTION: I'm pretty sure, I have not been trained in the art of "selfie" picture taking. I don't feel like pictures of me look like I actually look in real life. But whatever. In the city where I serve, there is a pretty new University Campus, complete with a artificial lake. After finishing dinner early, we went to watch ducks for a few minutes. 

This week was awesome! We had a Zone Conference training on Tuesday by Elder Wong of the Seventy, of the Asia Area Presidency. He's Cantonese, and a convert to the church. It amazes me how you can take someone who was a convert to the church, and after several years, turn him into an incredibly spiritual Seventy. He had some awesome trainings, on which I took lots of notes. He's a funny man, too; he kept making jokes. Particularly stereotypical things about Utahns. He can do that because he is based in Hong Kong. But he talked a lot about what it means to teach and edify. Most of the training about edify was understand what the word means in English and Chinese, and thus get a better understanding of the word. He tore the word and characters apart, and spent probably about 40 minutes talking about Edify. It was a super cool training, and when you look at a concept from different languages, you learn a lot, too.

We finished teaching all the lessons to our investigator Jacky this week. I'm so excited for his baptism! He has his interview next week. I think the reason teaching him has been such a smooth process is because he has a member friend. One of his fellow classmates from Jr. High School is now serving a mission, and because he'd been invited to church activities and other things, this time when he ran into the missionaries, he was prepared and willing to learn. That means his first contact with the church was at least 6 years ago. We're so excited for him. 

That's something I've learned in missionary work. As a missionary, you want action, results, in a very short amount of time. That's good; it happens often, too. Because we're in an area for such a short time, we want to see something change before we leave. But for people who are our friends (us being members in general), sometimes they're not going to meet the missionaries and be baptized a month later. But, we can start the process now, and then maybe those six years will start counting down from now. 

There is a proverb that says, "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." So go plant that tree. 

Have a wonderful week!

Love, 
Elder Sequoia Ploeg

Taiwan Taipei Mission
Sequoia.Ploeg@myLDSmail.net